Saturday, June 7, 2008

Ginger: Miscellaneous Thoughts on Food Etc.

1. RAW MILK
So...raw milk. What do you guys think -yay or nay? CA is one of the few states where you can buy it legally. I've been reading some stuff about the benefits of drinking it "straight" -the way it used to be I guess. See this Boston Globe article.

2. VANITY -PART I
Public locker rooms. Hmm. I usually avoid the one at the Y but that's where their scale is so I've been darting in and out every Friday (usually trying not to notice all the random bodies in various stages of undress). It's a little icky but also kind of refreshing to be reminded of what real women look like vs. glossy, perfect, airbrushed images. It's a teeny ego boost -never mind that the Y is heavily populated by senior citizens!

3. VANITY -PART II
I've been avoiding cardio -partly 'cause I don't want to sweat my hair out! I can't believe it. It's been years since I've had to pay attention to my hair. Is it vanity or am I just being practical? What's the point of paying to have it done every two weeks when it all goes to fuzz in one workout?

4. NEW BOOK
There's a new book on my radar. The taste of sweet. You all know I have this ongoing battle with desserts (sugar). The title sounded catchy so I'm gonna check it out at the library (after I pay my fines). If it's good maybe I'll do a review or something.

---6/18/08 Update---

I just had my first bowl of cereal with raw milk. I'm not really a big milk consumer (ever since the infamous health lecture nearly two decades go) but I was willing to give it a try. Not bad.

2 comments:

djw said...

I scanned through most of the article (except for page 4, at which point I was invited to register with the Boston Globe) but I didn't really see a description of what the alternative was to Pasturization. Don't really feel the need to backtrack on science...=) Wait, wait...something's coming to me-- Feel like there's a Late Night Joke in here somewhere--

"There's a growing trend in California as more people switch to Raw Milk. They say that unpasturized milk is better than pasturized milk.

In an unrelated news event, Al Gore says that he'll be switching from light bulbs to candles."

Huh? Huh?

Ginger said...

Funny :-) Raw (unpasteurized) milk advocates were making the argument that it can be as safe and better for you than its pasteurized counterpart. Not convinced, huh?