Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Ginger: The Secret

I think all the buzz about "The Secret" is kind of interesting. On some level, the law of attraction kind of makes sense to me. Our thoughts drive our choices and our choices contribute to our circumstances. Therefore, our thoughts influence our circumstances. Pretty obvious, right? My dad has been referencing the book "As a Man Thinketh" for years...

Anyway, let's apply this principle. If I want to live a healthful life, I have to make healthful choices. My interventions usually start and stop here -lots and lots of obsessing about choices. However, the law of attraction says that these healthful living choices won't kick in until my thoughts change.

Frankly, my thoughts are rarely in sync with the outcome that I want. It's sooooo much easier to dwell on how HARD it is to get to the gym or how INCONVENIENT it is to cook. Ironically, even thoughts that seem related to healthful living can draw my attention to its opposite (when they are framed in the negative). I don't want to GAIN WEIGHT. I have to stop EATING OUT and SKIPPING WORKOUTS.

Does "The Secret" guarantee instant perfection? Nope. Will I have setbacks? Of course! But hey, if it can fuel positive choices, I'd like to make it work for me.