Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Ginger: 5.6 Earthquake

Tonight I experienced my first earthquake. At first I heard a low rumbling noise. I thought it might be the neighbor's garbage disposal. Shortly after that I felt "movement" and my upright vacuum cleaner started vibrating. Not so much the garbage disposal. I stood still for a minute -all dramatic, surfing-style, feet apart, arms outstretched, leaning forward slightly- then ran to look at the "in case of emergency" sign posted on the back of my door. Here's what it says:

1. Duck

2. Find safe cover and hold
-Keep away from windows
-Keep away from shelving

3. Evacuate if safe (use your judgment)
-Use stairways, never use elevators

4. Go to your Emergency Assembly Point
-Report missing persons to the leader

Ok, somewhat helpful. What's up with the "use your judgment" clause though? My instinctive response (to all natural disasters) involves crawling into a bathtub. They're calling it a moderate quake. No major damage or injuries reported. According to the news, "the odds of another earthquake [of similar size] diminish as the hours go by."

Good to know.

1 comment:

djw said...

I like #1-- Duck... Lol, all the suggestions do seem a bit generalized... he he