Sunday, October 21, 2007

Ginger: It Ain't Pretty

On Friday, I went to see Body Worlds 2. It was a pretty neat look at the human body...took "anatomy" to a whole new level. One of the displays featured an actual cross-section of an obese body. Suddenly, the whole "my jeans are tight" thing seemed really trivial.

Here's what one review had to say:
A look at fat from the inside out? Another exhibit that has caused much audience reaction is "Suicide by Fat: Obesity Revealed." This display features the internal organs and fatty flesh of a 300-pound man who died from heart failure at age 50. According to Body Worlds, this man's heart became so enlarged from his obesity that it wasn't able to supply his body with continual blood flow. Still, the most shocking part of this display is that the obese man's organs are contrasted with those of a 120-pound man. And the differences are dramatic. For instance, layers of fat engulfed the organs of the obese man, while the slim man's organs were covered by thin tissue. According to Dana Morrisey, a 22-year-old woman who toured the Body World exhibit in Chicago, "[The obesity exhibit] was a case of reality bites. When I saw the obesity specimen, I knew that I would end up like that if I didn't make some changes."
Um, yeah. This view puts a habit like "sucking in my gut" into its proper perspective. Limited at best...

I'm totally buying the post card.

1 comment:

PB - AFineBalance said...

Whoa! Talk about perspective.