Saturday, October 27, 2007

Ginger: Like Wildflowers

On Thursday I went to a staff retreat.­ I'm employed half-­time so it's good to put in an appearance from time to time.­ Anyway, the day was unexpectedly cut short.­ Just before lunch, another staff member suffered a massive stroke.­

One minute she was sitting at the table with all of us.­ The next minute, paramedics were picking her up off the floor.­ She is young.­ Fit.­ A wife.­ A mom.­ So far the reports on her condition are not great.­ Please pray for her and for their family.­

Then there's the whole California Burning thing.

It hasn't been a real upbeat week.­ It was the kind of week that brings verses like these (from Psalm 103) into focus: "Men and women don't live very long; like wildflowers they spring up and blossom, But a storm snuffs them out just as quickly.­.­.­God's love though, is ever and always, eternally present to all who fear him.­"

Now there's something worth organizing our short lives around.

--Update---

The memorial service is scheduled for Saturday, November 2. Please keep the family in your prayers. I'm sure it's going to be a tough day.

In lieu of sending flowers, well-wishers can donate to a fund for her daughter. An account has been set up at the Stanford Credit Union, P.O. Box 10690, Palo Alto, CA 94303-0843. Checks should be made payable to Brian Emery with reference to sub-account “Syouthsub1”.

2 comments:

djw said...

That reminds me of the Casting Crowns Song, "Who AM I"... Funny, it was just yesterday I was noting to myself that death and illness seemed to becoming more frequent around me (My uncle also had a stroke this week...)

Casting Crowns - Who Am I Lyrics

Who am I?
That the Lord of all the earth,
Would care to know my name,
Would care to feel my hurt.
Who am I?
That the bright and morning star,
Would choose to light the way,
For my ever wondering heart.

Not because of who I am.
But because of what you've done.
Not because of what I've done.
But because of who you are.

Chorus:
I am a flower quickly fading,
Here today and gone tomorrow.
A wave tossed in the ocean,
A vapor in the wind.
Still you hear me when I'm calling,
Lord you catch me when I'm falling,
And you told me who I am.
I am yours.
I am yours.

Who am I?
That the eyes that see my sin
Would look on me with love
And watch me rise again
Who am I?
That the voice that calm the sea,
Would call out through the rain,
And calm the storm in me.

Not because of who I am.
But because what of youve done.
Not because of what I've done.
But because of who you are.

Chorus

Ginger said...

Which uncle? I'm sorry to hear that :(