Sunday, October 21, 2007

Ginger: Tofutti Pint

Last Tuesday's Oprah featured Dr. Christine Northrup. Although I'm a little leery of "chakra" references and such, the show was a wake-up call about women's bodies and the changes that could kick in as early as 35(!). Also, she ended the show with a statement that spoke to me -a sugar addict in recovery.

"Those things [exercise, meditation, and sex] increase beta-endorphin in the brain. "It's the natural morphine-like substance and you absolutely need it for mood modulation. And if you don't get it naturally through meditation, exercise or sex, you will get it abnormally through drugs and alcohol and sugar. You're going to go for pleasure because your body needs to have pleasure. You need it. But I'd much rather have you get it deliberately in healthy doses."

Ahh...now I know why I just ate that pint of Tofutti!

4 comments:

PB - AFineBalance said...

Does it count for salty foods like Pizza?

Ginger said...

LOL. I wonder? I wouldn't be surprised if there's something physiological behind the craving...

djw said...

Interesting theory...Not totally sold... perhaps need more info...Is she saying that if you don't meditate,exercise or have sex, that a person will turn to drugs, alcohol or sugar? I can see that being somebody's experience but not everybody's. I get the seeking pleasure part though. I'm sure, however, that pleasure may differ for each person.

Ginger said...

For sure. I don't think she meant it as a global if...then statement. It came across as more of a reminder that our cravings (pleasure-seeking) can have a biochemical component...