Monday, January 14, 2008

Mimi: You Know It's Bad When...

You show up at the Y and don't recognize the reception area!!

New carpet, new trendy leather seating areas (yes our Y is in a wealthy area), a new counter area. Yikes! Clearly I've been away too long. Part of what has been keeping me away has been the unwillingness to have that "everyone is staring at me and my weight gain" feeling. I mean, I was there almost every day and knew a lot of folks! Now I'm all "fluffy" and have to see all these people. Then I feel all weak for caring what other people think! ugh. Vicious cycle, I tell you. By the time I'm done the mental fight, I''m exhausted and have nothing left for the physical. I'm going to take your advice, Ginger, and try for less thinking and more "auto-pilot."

Now onto the good news. I said I'm having a 21 day goal. I'm happy to say it is day 9 and I'm still feeling strong. Week 1 weight loss = 4.6 pounds. Even if it was mostly water, it was a good motivator and reminder that the plan works when I work it. The loss was even inspiration for me to go to exercise today. Exercising now seems like a complement to the change in food--worthwhile, if that makes sense.

Week 1 I tracked and stayed within points and didn't use my extra weekly ones. Saturday after weigh-in was my "point-free" day which has worked for me in the past. It's my "splurge" day, but funny enough splurging while on plan is SO different from splurging off plan. Everything I ate was homemade and points friendly. I just didn't put them in the tracker. It's practice for when I no longer have to count.

Overall, going into Week 2 feelin' strong. Good stuff.

4 comments:

Ginger said...

No joke, it's like a whole new Y. Congrats on your progress so far. You've got the strong start down!

PB - AFineBalance said...

Great start! It always pays off to stick with plan -- wonder why we keep forgetting?

Ginger said...

Hey Mimi, on another note...I know I'm not the typical "random person at the Y" but I think you're really pretty -at all weights! This is a trait that I admire as I don't have it myself. (It's okay though. I've come to terms with it and I can be happy for you.)

Plus, have you ever noticed that most of the regulars don't look much different when we return from a long absence? Like, no-one is super buff or anything. Sure, they're maintaining (great for them) but my point is that when you're working out, your results have that "wow" factor.

I know it's easier said than done so I'm proud to see you pushing past the "start up" insecurities.

Mimi said...

Awwww! Thanks so much for the encouraging words (though I can't believe you don't see how gorgeous you are!). It's like I said...breaking the "threshold." Did you hear that one woman say "hi" and comment that I had been playing "hooky?" grrrrr! Good to be back, though. Let's keep the momentum going.