Thursday, July 26, 2007

Posh: Books Pertaining to our Discussions


The discussion on Contemplative/Centered Prayer reminded me of a book that I had gotten at the ABC bookstore several years ago. Went to my archive of books and dug it up: Deceived by the New Age: The Story of a New Age Priest by Will Baron. Definitely a good read and a red flag warning to pray in earnest and stick with the Bible. He shares several of his experiences from his involvement and ministry with the New Age beliefs, Occultism and Hinduism. He also shares how he found out the truth about God. I'd be very interested in hearing reactions from anyone who reads his book.

Below, I post an excerpt from the beginning of a chapter in his book on Christian Meditation. In the comments section, I also have included a few excerpts from the beginning of his book.

Other good books to read: A trip into the Supernatural by Roger Morneau and Beware of Angels, also by Roger Morneau— Heartfelt reminders of Ephesians 6:10-18

Can meditation be Christian?
Several months ago I gave a talk to the staff of a Christian media center that produced television and radio programs. After my presentation, I was shocked to hear a staff member inform me that not too long before, a visiting executive from a seminary had given them a lecture on the virtues of meditation. He then coerced his audience into sitting in silence with their eyes closed so they could listen to the “voice of the Holy Spirit.”

Another seminary teacher promotes meditation with the motto: “If you spend an hour praying to God, doesn’t it make sense to spend another hour in meditation listening for his reply?” A well-known miracle healer also enthusiastically promotes meditation. He describes meditation as an act of listening to the inner voice of God.

These theologians and preachers advocate a type of meditation in which one deliberately sits in introspective silence, attempting to listen to the voice of the Holy Spirit. Before I explain why I consider this so-called Christian meditation to be dangerous, let’s take a look at the nature of introspective meditation.

At a New Age seminar given by a Christian lecturer, I heard the statement that New Agers enter into an “altered state” of consciousness when they meditate. The idea that meditation is an “altered state” has been expressed by others involved in ministering to Eastern cults. I believe this view is accurate, but must clarify the point that “altered state” does not necessarily mean “mystical state.”

Sometimes people can indeed have mystical experiences during meditation, and they will have been in a tangible, altered state of consciousness. However, from my own experiences and from a knowledge of the experiences of other New Agers, these mystical experiences are not the norm. In fact, I know of New Agers who have meditated for years and have never had a “mystical” experience. It is my assessment that meditation is typically a state of special relaxation and not a radically altered state of consciousness.

I make these points because Christians often believe that meditation is fine as long as it is not done in a mystical state. As most New Age meditation is nonmystical, this argument has no validity.

If meditation is not a mystical state, why is it inappropriate for Christians?

The danger of introspective meditation lies in the fact that the meditator is ready and receptive for an angelic entity to implant thoughts, ideas and impressions into his mind. From my personal experience, I believe that Satanic angels are able to telepathically implant thoughts into a meditator’s mind without the necessity of any mystical state. The meditator simply experiences inspirational thoughts or images materializing in his conscience, which he regards as originating form his “higher self,” supposedly a part of this mind that holds communion with God.

I believe it is impossible for anyone to know for sure that a certain impression received during meditation comes from God and not from some other source. Meditation provides and excellent opportunity for Satan to exercise his manipulating deception. Why else would New Agers be promoting it so heavily?

My mall and beach ministry focused on encouraging individuals to begin the practice of Christian meditation. My goal when infiltrating Hope Chapel was to start a Christian meditation group in that church. I took comfort in the knowledge that once people started to meditate, they would hear the inner voice of God inside of their own minds, and this would lead them into the arena of other New Age ideas...



3 comments:

djw said...

Excerpts from Will Baron's Book:

I had been a member of the Lighted Way for five years and loved the metaphysical teachings… I remained reluctant to become involved in this Christianity… I gradually began to acknowledge the fact that Jesus had taken over our center and that I must accept him as my master. I purchased a Bible and started to attend the weekly Bible-study classes and prayer groups that were being offered in lieu of classes on metaphysics.
The teachings expounded at the Lighted Way evolved into a curious mixture of New Age mysticism and biblical Christianity. We regarded ourselves as New Age Christians. I even began to tell people that I was a born again Christian. After all, I had given up my Hindu guru and accepted “ Jesus Christ” as my master and saviour.
During my meditation periods, I could sense that “Jesus Christ” and the “Holy Spirit” were inspiring me through my voice of conscience, exactly in the manner that Djwhal Khul seemed to have done previously. After a while, I became devoted to this Jesus. He took over my life.
I was also told to attend regular Christian church congregations so that I could meet new friends and interest them in meditation and other less offensive New Age ideas disguised in biblical-sounding terms…
Knowledge, success, and oneness with “God” are the promises the New Age movement presents to the potential victims it is about to ensnare…
During this time I was a New Age Christian it was very pleasing to find that a few Christian preachers were already teaching some of the New Age beliefs. Joyfully hearing them express statements that were in line with what I had learned in my metaphysical training. I reasoned that these preachers must have received revelation knowledge directly from the spirit realm or possibly were inspired by the New Age writings in widespread circulation. Your own pastor may have expressed odd interpretations of biblical passages, and you are not quite sure where he is coming from…
The New Age Teaching and practices have now become so widespread that most Christians are quite likely to come into contact with them in one form or another. Often people are not aware of that exposure. For example…if you have desired to seek closeness with God, perhaps meditation has attracted your attention, that so-called science of seeking communion with God. You may have wondered whether it is really a good idea for a Christian to meditate.
I first began to practice New Age introspective meditation in a class at the Lighted Way metaphysical center. Some people began New Age meditation techniques right in their own churches. Like my acquaintance Jean….
Jean Reported: “ I am going to a Bible study in which the teacher asks the members of the class to sit quietly and try to listen for God’s voice. I wonder if this is the beginning of what you talk about in [your] book.”
“You bet it is,” was my reply. “… This type of introspective meditation is not found in the Bible, and it has never been part of orthodox Christian activity. It is a Hindu practice that is undesirable and potentially dangerous!”
…I came to believe that if I applied the New Age teachings and techniques in my life, my skills and talents would develop to their full potential, and I would attain fulfillment and happiness.
For example, I began to practice meditation in the hope of receiving enlightenment. In meditation, I became aware that it was possible to tune in to an inner voice of conscience that seemed to give wise advice… The New Agers regard this inner voice as an expression of the voice of God, a manifestation of the Holy Spirit as it speaks through the mind…”

PB - AFineBalance said...

Thanks for this info. Will need to think about and explore.

Ginger said...

To me, this is why the bible is so valuable; it's our best and clearest guide. Any practice - spiritual or otherwise - should find direct support in that text. With all the online bibles and study tools out there, a hard core search/study is literally right at our fingertips...