Thursday, August 23, 2007

Sporty: The Kite Runner by Khaleed Hosseini

Modern day "dark ages" with Hitler like enthusiasm, vengeance and insanity is the backdrop for The Kite Runner.

This book, like A Thousand Splendid Suns, is set in war-torn Afghanistan and shows the destruction that occurs when religion is used as a weapon and as a tool to justify human depravity and evil.



Beyond the setting though, is a story that really moved me..."I became what I am today at the age of twelve" is the first line in this coming of age story about Amir and Hassan, childhood friends .... there were literally times I had to close the book because I needed to brace myself for what was coming next. The Kite Runner is about friendship, sacrifice, guilt and forgiveness but it is also about defining moments and how we allow them to shape our lives.

The Kite Runner is one of those books that people will continue to talk about and even use as Republican propaganda to justify the war. Regardless of the reason, it is another "must read".

*Update*
Kite Runner movie to be released November 2, 2007.

2 comments:

Ginger said...

Oh they're doing a movie? That's cool. I may have to catch the movie and read the book later on (can't believe I just said that). Someone else recently mentioned this book to me. Sounds like a good one!

PB - AFineBalance said...

Girl if you can read the book first. The trailer has been a little weary of how they'll do it. The book is rich so I guess they have to pick on choose themes to focus on.