Sunday, August 19, 2007

Sporty: A Thousand Splendid Suns

I just finished bawling my eyes out.......A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini is a heartwrenching novel about survival, hope, love and lost. The story, as told by two women, is set in Afghanistan during the last 30 years, has opened my eyes to a world I do not know. I was filled with emotions of guilt and gratefulness for the freedoms I am fated with ... feelings of kinship, hatred, horror, helplessness .... a desire to do.

A Thousand Splendid Suns is gutwrenching, tragic, revealing and relevant... with similiar themes to those in Rohinton Mistry's A Fine Balance...a must read.

3 comments:

Ginger said...

I'm scared of "tragic" right now...been avoiding dark and/or violent media ever since our summer movie marathon that included The Constant Gardner, Syriana, and Lord of War. There's so much evil in the world. Was there at least a glimmer of "light" somewhere in the book? The title makes me hopeful...

PB - AFineBalance said...

"Light"...yes...but I think it's about your perception. Posh was still angry last I checked. It was intense.

djw said...

You found "light" in the book, where you least expected it. And how bright the light was (glimmer vs full on shine) would probably be determined by the individual reader. However, it was a reminder that no matter how dark your life seems, a small light can shine a lot further than you think.

This fictional book brought out "true story" emotions from me.

Sporty's review of the book is spot on!