Friday, April 13, 2007

Mimi: The Sweetest Words...

So, I don't know what the situation is like for the rest of you ladies, but my mother has been "not so helpful" in terms of supporting healthy weight loss and positive self-image throughout my life. I was always "big" (to put it euphemistically). And my mom was always on me to lose weight, starting from when I was a little kid. By the time I was in high school, I think I would eat things just to spite her. Not the best of dynamics, obviously. After I left home, we came to an understanding...she wouldn't mention my weight, and we wouldn't fight.

When I started losing weight, she was SO happy. She loved the way I looked, bought me clothes, and constantly complimented me.

I DREADED seeing her after the pounds started creeping back on. Surprisingly, she didn't have anything negative to say...was just gently encouraging (can we say invasion of the body snatchers??!!).

We just had the best conversation Wednesday night. I was on the phone with her lamenting about my weight gain (an unheard of occurrence in the past). Her response? The following:

"Mimi, you still look good. Just finish schooling and then worry about losing weight again. As long as you have God inside you, you'll ALWAYS be beautiful."

Awwwwwww....