Thursday, March 15, 2007

1 Vanilla Shake = 560 Calories = Over an Hour of Cardio = Not So Much Worth It

If you saw Super Size Me (great movie -totally worth renting) you'll remember this quote from filmmaker Morgan Spurlock. It's the scene where he's eating his double quarter-pounder Super Size meal while talking to the camera:

"See, now's the time of the meal when you start getting the McStomachache. You start getting the McTummy. You get the McGurgles in there. You get the McBrick, then you get the McStomachache. Right now I've got some McGas that's rockin'. My arms... I feel like I've got some McSweats goin'. My arms got the McTwitches going in here from all the sugar that's going in my body right now. I'm feeling a little McCrazy."

I've had my share of late night fast food runs -so I can totally relate to this experience. Plus, this week's goals include vegan calcium/protein, remember? And I'm working my way up to the Fast Track Detox Diet (i.e. kicking the sugar habit). However, I didn't plan ahead today. At 20 past lunch I found myself in the car...far far from home...not a single organic food bar in sight. There was a Burger King drive-thru up ahead (isn't there always). Do you see where this is going?

What I Planned to Order: Veggie Burger.

What I Decided While Waiting On Line: Veggie Burger + Fries.

What I Picked Up At the Window: Veggie Burger + Fries + Shake.

Talk about creeping compromise. Forget the calories for a second. Do you know how many grams of sugar are in a medium (and here's hoping that I had the medium -I'm really not sure) vanilla shake?

SEVENTY-SEVEN.

Yeah, that's 15 x as much sugar as my boy Dr. Oz recommends for a single serving. It wasn't even a good shake -more "ice" than "cream" which really annoys me. Still, I didn't let that stop me from downing the whole thing -although I did briefly consider throwing it away and stopping at In-N-Out to make the calorie hit worthwhile. Now there's a place that knows how to make a shake.

Anyway...now I have to up the ante on this afternoon's workout. 500 calories should take just over an hour on the machines -if I really push it. And by "push it" I mean short stints of jogging y'all. You know how I feel about jogging! Ha ha. Stay tuned for the update.

[Update: I did it. Burning off that shake was no joke! Great incentive to plan ahead and keep a stash of snacks on hand.]

2 comments:

PB - AFineBalance said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
PB - AFineBalance said...

Awesome! Exercise can be a beautiful thing. Yay for balance!