Monday, March 5, 2007

Ginger: Climbing

I went to the Y tonight. It was an impromptu visit - largely prompted by the pile of work on my desk (procrastination) and the empty Tofutti container in the trash (uh...moving on).

It'd been a while since my last cardio workout so I was planning on a low-key activity -say 20 minutes on a treadmill. Wouldn't you know it? No free treadmills. O-kay. I was willing to take it up a notch on the elliptical. Yup, you guessed it. No free ellipticals. Not even one of the second-rate ones with no TV! Then I spotted two free stair climbers. Yikes. Not so much low-key. While I stood there (trying to decide what to do) a woman brushed past me to the sign up board.

And then there was one.

Oh well, why not? I figured I'd go for as long as I could. I entered my info, picked the fat burner program, set the machine to level 3, cranked up the music, and started climbing. My heart rate promptly shot up so I tried to do the slow breathing technique that Posh had taught me -quickly switching to shallow breaths whenever the woman on my left hacked RIGHT ON ME. AAARRRRRGHH!

Anyway, I guess it worked 'cause I didn't pass out. In fact, as the time wound down, I found myself humming along to the music. After 20 minutes, I hopped off and headed home. It felt good to start the week with a workout. Now if I can just do it again on Tuesday. And Thursday. Oh yeah, and the Tuesday after that...



2 comments:

djw said...

Glad you had the ability, wherewithal, energy resources and lung capacity to "hop" off at the end of your workout!=) Good job on sticking it through,even though you didn't have your machine of choice!

PB - AFineBalance said...

Go Ginger! Go Ginger! The stairmaster is crazy.