Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Mimi: My Half Full Water Bottles...

So the formula for how much water we're supposed to drink is one half our body weight in ounces. That's a lot of water for me. I do make a valiant "good faith" effort, too. I buy bottled water by the case, usually the 24oz sports top, or the 1.5 liter for when I'm home sitting at the computer (like now, for instance). Ginger and I have had some conversations of about the safety of drinking from the half finished water bottle. How many days is it safe to drink from the same bottle? We know that we're not supposed to keep refilling them like an "official" plastic reuseable bottle...but what if it's not refilled, and it's just the original water?

I decided to do some research. Haven't found a whole lot, quite honestly. Just enough to confirm that Ginger and my suspicions were correct. The most specific information was in an article titled: "9 Things You Need to Know about Drinking Water". http://www.realsimple.com/realsimple/gallery/0,21863,1170208-1,00.html

The article warns: "So think twice about sipping from that half-drunk water bottle that’s been sitting on your nightstand since the day before yesterday."

I'm off to water my plants...

5 comments:

djw said...

I guess that's good to know....bacteria does go through exponential growth, even though we don't see it (had to work in the microbiology term=)...Drank 4 cups of water, myself, for today...aiming for 4 more...

PB - AFineBalance said...

Good info. Half my weight is a gallon a day. Started bringing in a couple gallons into to work each day. So far many, many trips to the bathroom!

Ginger said...

Wow. Nice work on the water guys. Drinking water is my Achilles Heel. I'm trying to work my way up to 75 oz a day so that I can do the fast track detox diet!

PB - AFineBalance said...

Ginger - just checked out the fast track detox diet. Pretty intense but looks like it works. Should give a nice "light" feeling. Let me know how to works. I bought the ZAND 7 day cleanse system from GNC and I've been trying to "work up" the energy to start it (bunch of pills). I'll let you how that works as well.

Ginger said...

Oh cool, let me know how it goes. It looks like they both call for lots and lots of water! I'll keep you posted...