Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Ginger: Eco Fish


I've been experimenting with fish in my diet. Although it's a great source of protein + healthy fat, I quickly ran into a few snags.

-I'm skittish about handling the raw stuff at home.
Yeah, just can't do it.

-I'm picky about taste
Few restaurants can match Grandma's fried fish. Is a little seasoning really too much to ask for?

-I'm leery of mercury and other contaminants
When the government starts issuing warnings? I listen.

-I'm too poor to buy the safer varieties
$20/lb at Whole Foods Deli. I splurge sometimes, but clearly...

Yesterday, I think I found a solution: Eco Fish. Short of hiring a personal chef, moving to Bermuda (the land of tasty fish), marrying rich or spearheading my own Alaskan fishing expedition, it's perfect. Right now I'm using it in salad -eventually I may try something more creative.

Here's another resource for fellow fish eaters: Ocean's Alive does a great job of separating the good, the bad, and the ugly.

2 comments:

PB - AFineBalance said...

I'm with on the prep. I can't do it. Glad you found something you like.

Unknown said...

I love Starkist's Albacore tuna. Whenever I want to really get tough with my weight loss, I incorporate tuna salad into my week's menu. Two cans, mustard, a boiled egg, and mayo (yes, salad dressing is healthier, but I can't sacrifice everything) only adds up to roughly 350 calories for the entire bowl. Ritz and tuna makes for a very healthy and filling meal---hell, I have to go and make some!!!