Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Posh: It’s Not What You Eat, It’s What You Think, diet no more

It’s Not What You Eat, It’s What You Think, diet no more: "The cornerstone of weight control is between your ears. What you think – that is, how you talk to yourself, what you say to yourself about your body image and efforts to become fit and trim – is perhaps the most important element in weight loss and weight management."

"Ever hear it said that there is no reality, only perception? That means that you create a huge percentage of your experience, including what you manifest in your life, such as the condition of your body and your health-maintenance habits."


Those are a couple of quotes from the article I read. And it was an interesting read. I thought the question Sporty posed of the effects of negative thinking on weight gain was interesting. I haven't come across anything yet about hormones and stuff, but there is a direct correlation with the overall picture and how successful you are.

It's been interesting reading about this. For the last few weeks, my logical side of my brain has been instinctively telling me to keep things positive. Many times during the exercise, I'd want to whine or go into an "anti" grumbly or sarcastic space... But I'd tell myself not to. And in order to block the negative thought, I'd quickly try to focus on a positive thought.

This article article formalized that concept for me. It gave these tips:
1. Capture Negative thoughts and write them down.
2. Subject thoughts to a reality test.
3. Replace each thought with a positive one.

I haven't been writing the negative thoughts down, but I have been trying to replace them with positives in what I say to myself, what I say to others and some positive blogs. I must admit, the result is a less aggitated feeling.

4 comments:

PB - AFineBalance said...

Thanks Posh! I noticed that if I tell my self I'm going to have a good training session and that I can take and anything she gives I can push myself more. I also noticed that in the past 3 weeks my mind has been "fuzzy" about whether I can actually stick with this because I usually have a good first push then start to slip.

I need a you new tape, new words.

I can and will push pass these emotions. I will not personal doubts cloud my vision of goals etc.

Ginger said...

Nice. Been running into this principle a lot lately...

Unknown said...

Interesting read. I think there's a direct link to a person's mindset with diet and excercise. When I go to the gym (in the A.M.) with a positive attitude, I get alot out of it--usually exceeding my expectations. Not only that, but it carries over into the rest of the day. I want to eat healthy, I want to drink for water and less juices and pops. I want to get the proper rest and it's because my mindset tells me that I want to see this thing to the end. But let me go with a negative attitude. Two things are gonna happen: I'll barely finish my workout (if at all) or I just won't go. Plus, it leads to self-destructive thinking. "This whole thing is stupid, "I'll always be big no matter what," which leads to donuts, pops, chips, and everything else you're trying to cut down on. So, whatever you have to do to psyche yourself up--pace the floor like a panther, put on some boody-shaking music, chant, slap yourself upside the head, or rub your lucky charm or favorite teddy--stay positive and it'll be worth it at the end.

djw said...

I'm thinking of creating a nice, upbeat, positive playlist for my exercise time...Just have to find the songs... =)