Thursday, May 3, 2007

Ginger: Just for "Fun"

Since I did a food log last week, I thought I'd explore the whole vegan thing a bit more. Specifically, I wanted to check out my hunch that vegan choices help me to avoid random eating -particularly ice-cream cravings.

So, I flipped through my entries then started cracking up. Just for fun, here's a sample of non-vegan items that I consumed last week.

Strawberry Malt
Now this is the really good malt -you know the kind that comes in a tall glass with a spoon and the extra tin cup on the side? According to one website, "Specific nutritional data on Fuddruckers menu items is not currently available." I guess they're going with ignorance = bliss.

Pecan Mudslide
Stressful afternoon which ends with a trip to Dairy Queen. The Pecan Mudslide racks up 650 Calories, 12g Saturated Fat, 70g Sugar, 2g Fiber.

Gelato
A cheesy Mexican dinner -which we won't even address - followed by dessert at Michael's Gelato. Let's assume that the double scoop cone was about 1 cup of gelato. That averages 300 Calories, 4g Saturated Fat, 44g Sugar, 0g Fiber. Hey, I guess it's better than the malt or the mudslide.

Oreo Shake
I save the best for last and down an Oreo Shake at Jack in the Box. My day and week both end with a whopping 910 Calories, 32g Saturated Fat, 80g Sugar, 1g Fiber.

No wonder I haven't been losing weight!! I don't even want to think about what all that sugar is doing in my body. Well, maybe I do...stay tuned for the next post.

5 comments:

PB - AFineBalance said...

Those treats sounded good. What about a "free day". Eat within your defined framework daily but on one day each week e.g. Sat you can eat whatever. Another way is to have 3 "free meals" each week or something like that.

Goes with the 90/10 rule of aim to eat well 90% and have "fun" the other 10. LOL

Ginger said...

Sigh. It's the all or nothing principle. I haven't found a way to indulge and then get right back to normal. I'll give that some thought. I'm also open to looking into CORE. How can I get more info? Thanks for the practical suggestions!

Ginger said...

10% "fun" -i just got it. lol.

Mimi said...

LOL...I know it's not funny, but with the "vegan" title, you got me grinning. :)

Ginger said...

OK?