Monday, May 7, 2007

Ginger: Reference Library -More on Sugar + Other Stuff

So, I gotta confess that I haven't actually read this one yet. BUT, I'm a big Dr. Oz fan so I'll get it eventually. It'll probably be worth a "purchase" vs. a "borrow" from the library.

Just to follow up on the sugar thing...Dr. Oz offers two guidelines for label readers. If sugar is one of the first five ingredients, skip it! Also, stick to foods with 4g or less of sugar per serving.

Here's an excerpt from the Discovery Health website.

9 comments:

Mimi said...

Baby carrots have 6 grams of sugar per serving...skip those, too (half serious, actually)?

Ginger said...

LOL. Here's where owning the actual book would come in handy. If I remember correctly, I think Dr. Oz's position is that naturally occurring sugar -especially when combined with fiber or good fat - is cool. The "4g" rule of thumb is a guide for the processed stuff.

Ginger said...

Here you go. More detail in this book excerpt and slideshow.

Ginger said...

Not so much on the links, huh? Email me if you're interested.

PB - AFineBalance said...

Very helpful! Thanks.

Clearly there are several items I plan to eliminate or limit even if they are low in pts.

Mimi said...

Thanks, Ginger. Sporty, I'm curious...what would you eliminate that is low points?

Ginger said...

Can't speak for Sporty, but yogurt is one that's often sugary. I'm trying to embrace plain. Let's hope that it's an acquired taste!

PB - AFineBalance said...

Mimi, here are a couple items I plan to limit ww smoothies, instant oatmeal, certain types of soymilk, ww 1pt icecream bars, ww 1pt cakes and bars.

Yeah....

PB - AFineBalance said...

most protein bars