Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Sporty: Can negative thoughts make you fat?

I've been thinking that I am going to gain tomorrow all week long.

I've been sick and instead of having a "skinny" response and not being able to eat... I crave food. Stomach pangs would wake me up at 2 am or 4 am and only eating something like toast or crackers would help. I've been thinking that I have the stomach virus but the pharmacist at CVS told me that she thought may have an ulcer. Oh God! Doesn't she know that I'm a hypochondriac? Doesn't she know that 3 days ago my doctor said that the cartilage in my left knee is minimal? I'm only 31!!!!!!! Now I may an ulcer. I think she's bogus. The ask a nurse lady told me not to jump to conclusions. I have a doctor's appt later this week. I feel like my body is falling apart and that my bad habits led me to being overweight and now I have the knees of an 80 year old. Can't my body tell that I've been being good, that I've been really trying .....can I not turn back the hands of time on my body clock? I took the Real Age quiz thing a couple months ago and they said I was like 47 but that if developed healthy habits I could be young again. Are those realage.com people liars???????

Maybe I should just go under my covers and eat pizza. Ok that's dramatic. (**Slapping myself in the face**)

Back to my original question, can negative thoughts make me fatter? This morning I was clearly in a negative space at my training session and told my trainer that I knew I was going to gain weight. This was after I was whining about having to do the treadmill at an 8.0 incline and complaining about the CVS pharmacist. (Side bar: I hate the treadmill (oh yeah my doctor also told me have plantar fasciitis in both feet, possible heel spurs and something about the bone in my left heel. I had stopped listening at that point. ).

Back again to those negative thoughts. My trainer said that negative thinking produces hormones that can contribute to weight gain??? What?? I never heard that?? I know you have to be positive to stay motivated but wait does your body actually keep you fat if you're thinking negative??? Is that true??

2 comments:

djw said...

Thought provoking questions...

Ginger said...

What's that research about stress and belly fat? Is it cortisol? I forget...

In any case, sending you good thoughts for the upcoming doctor's visit + whatever followup it entails.

Be encouraged girl!